(-4.75, -6.46) on
The Political Compass




Places of Interest
Archives
<< current
The 18½ Minute Gap
Check to have links open new windows.
Friday, August 01, 2003
No points for technique, but full marks for attitude.
Kovar/Hall : "Abstract: The exponential dependence of resistivity on temperature in germanium is found to be a great big lie. My careful theoretical modeling and painstaking experimentation reveal 1) that my equipment is crap, as are all the available texts on the subject and 2) that this whole exercise was a complete waste of my time. "
If you've ever done a lab report in college, you'll find this one hilarious. I found it particularly so, as I'm currently in the middle of reading Einstein's Luck: The Truth Behind Some of the Greatest Scientific Discoveries. I just finished the chapter about how Millikan threw out 117 out of 175 data points in his classic oil drop experiment because they gave "bad" values for e and how Sir Arthur Eddington threw out 2/3 of his data in the classic 1919 light bending experiment because it gave results closer to those predicted by Newtonian physics than to those predicted by relativity.
This page is powered by Blogger.