(-4.75, -6.46) on
The Political Compass




Places of Interest
Archives
<< current
The 18½ Minute Gap
Check to have links open new windows.
Monday, September 29, 2003
Good news, bad news
The good news? This, from Gov. Dean on Meet the Press today:
I have changed on some of the issues. I think that's one of the hallmarks of who I am. I'm a doctor. I believe if you have a theory and the fact comes along that changes the theory, then you throw out the theory. The Republicans believe that if a fact comes along that changes the theory, they throw out the fact. They deny there is such a thing as global warming. The President made the case that a bipartisan committee in Congress admits was exaggerated, and he ignored the facts for going to war in Iraq. This is pretty serious stuff. I have no complaint and no embarrassment about changing my positions at all. If facts come along that show you things need to change, you need to change them.
That is one of the most sensible things I've heard from any politician in a long time.

The bad news? It's very likely to run afoul of the "simplicity is integrity" image that's been playing in the press for some time now. Sorry, but I just don't understand (or agree with) the idea that sticking to a position no matter what is better than being willing to change your mind if facts indicate you should.

This page is powered by Blogger.