(-4.75, -6.46) on
The Political Compass




Places of Interest
Archives
<< current
The 18½ Minute Gap
Check to have links open new windows.
Thursday, October 16, 2003
Meet the Undersecretary

Yes, America, meet your new undersecretary of defense, Lt. General Jerry Boykin. He's the former head of Army Special Forces, and he has some...interesting...opinions.


In June 2003, Boykin spoke to a church group over a slide show:
“Well, is he [bin Laden] the enemy? Next slide. Or is this man [Saddam] the enemy? The enemy is none of these people I have showed you here. The enemy is a spiritual enemy. He’s called the principality of darkness. The enemy is a guy called Satan.”
Why are terrorists out to destroy the United States? Boykin said: “They’re after us because we’re a Christian nation.”
Hmmm....wouldn't you just love to ask him why the terrorists are after Israel and not the Vatican, on that basis?
During a January church speech in Daytona, Fla., Boykin recalled a Muslim fighter in Somalia who bragged on television the Americans would never get him because his God, Allah, would protect him: “Well, you know what I knew, that my God was bigger than his. I knew that my God was a real God, and his was an idol.”
What. An. Idiot. Though I do now have the bizarre experience of having the "My God's bigger than your God" line running through my head to the tune of the old Ken-L-Ration ads.
Boykin also routinely tells audiences that God, not the voters, chose President Bush: “Why is this man in the White House? The majority of Americans did not vote for him. Why is he there? And I tell you this morning that he’s in the White House because God put him there for a time such as this.”
You'd think that God could have come up with a better scenario than butterfly ballots, suspect voter rolls scrubbing, and Katherine Harris....

But hey, it's ok, because...

Boykin tells NBC News that, given his new assignment, he is curtailing such speeches in the future. He says, “I don’t want … to be misconstrued. I don’t want to come across as a right-wing radical.”
Somehow, I don't think the problem comes when he's misconstrued.
This page is powered by Blogger.