(-4.75, -6.46) on
The Political Compass




Places of Interest
Archives
<< current
The 18½ Minute Gap
Check to have links open new windows.
Saturday, October 11, 2003
Parenting without television

We have a TV in our house, but we only use it for watching movies on tape or DVD. The cable only goes to the computer for broadband. I don't think we're missing a thing, and our kids are better off for it. Here's an article about other folks who have made the same choice.

The Miami Herald | 10/11/2003 | Pull the plug on television, without regrets: "''I stay at home and my oldest goes to school. We recently eliminated television from our children's lives, 100 percent, and we have had nothing but positive results. At first the children whined and complained of having nothing to do, but they quickly learned that if they told me they were ``bored,'' I would put them to work.

``It only took a week for them to completely turn around. They stopped asking me to find things for them to do and began entertaining themselves like never before. I think it is so sad that today's children, because they rely so much on television, video games and the computer, are not learning to entertain themselves. My husband and I unplugged the television because of your advice and we are very grateful. We have been television-free for seven months now, and we will never go back!''"

This page is powered by Blogger.