From Ohio Democrat Sherrod Brown:
Never before has the House of Representatives operated in such secrecy:
- At 2:54 a.m. on a Friday in March, the House cut veterans benefits by three votes.
- At 2:39 a.m. on a Friday in April, the House slashed education and health care by five votes.
- At 1:56 a.m. on a Friday in May, the House passed the Leave No Millionaire Behind tax-cut bill by a handful of votes.
- At 2:33 a.m. on a Friday in June, the House passed the Medicare privatization and prescription drug bill by one vote.
- At 12:57 a.m. on a Friday in July, the House eviscerated Head Start by one vote.
- And then, after returning from summer recess, at 12:12 a.m. on a Friday in October, the House voted $87 billion for Iraq.
Always in the middle of the night. Always after the press had passed their deadlines. Always after the American people had turned off the news and gone to bed.
And that's not all.